Wednesday, January 5, 2011

JACKPOT on Vintage Books and Old Used Ledgers!

Happy New Year everyone.  I hope the new year brings lots of art and relaxation for all. I am excited to start some projects that have been stashed in the back of my mind for some time now. In the mean time I had to share some needful things I recently acquired. During the holidays I headed to Ann Arbor with my oldest daughter and oldest son (who love the thrill of the hunt as much as I do).  There is a shop there called FOUND that I have wanted to scout for some time now. I was not disappointed.  I have been obsessing with old used ledgers for a month or so, and hoped to find some there.  Wow,  what a find I had at Found! I picked up 6 old ledgers from the 1920's through 50's for a steal. Not too long ago at an out of the way antique store I picked up a Dictionary from the 1940's with (yes, you ARE reading this correctly) 4,900 pages in it for $3!! The pages are age to perfection and there are loads of amazing illustrations in it.  I can't stop wondering how I got so lucky to find this treasure!  Then a few days after Christmas, my daughter (same one) and I headed to the local library, down into the basement where they sell old books and magazines where I picked up 2 wondeful old novels, and an old Russian  poetry book. My luck usually does not go this way!  To top it all off, my son (same one) knew of my recent obsession with old paper and books, and in one of his outings, he discovered an old astronomy book with page after page of nothing but rows of numbers in it.  It was my Christmas present from him. How cool is that.  All of these books have rather shabby covers (which I will use for something, I am sure) and the spines are very week, so I won't have guilt over tearing pages from them. I have an overabundance (if that is possible) of this wonderful old paper, so I have listed some ephemera kits in my supply shop at Etsy, WhatRemains .  I call them inspiration kits, because when I look at old paper and ledgers and take in the aroma of aged books, I feel inspired to create.  Take a look at these finds:









1 comment:

Art From The heart said...

Lucky you! What a great find....