Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Eve 1945


 New Years Eve as a holiday holds no appeal for me.  I've never liked it even when I was much younger. To help it pass by without me I'm normally in bed sleeping by 10 PM,  and can't  remember the last time I rang in the new year with a group of friends. I find it very sad actually, for several reasons. One, it's the end of a year, passing of time, our children being that much older, days gone by. Since my Mother passed away a few years ago, I find it doubly sad, since New Year's Eve marks the wedding anniversary of my parents, as they were married on this date in 1945.  I keep this photo out all year round.  It has in it 3 people I love very much. My Mother,  my Father, and my Grandfather who I adored as a child.   Since we purchased our cabin a few year ago, I now have a retreat to go to every year for New Year's Eve. No pressure to find something exciting to do with friends, no parties, no sadness while others around me are celebrating. I can quietly ring in the New Year and reflect on happy times.  They would have been married for 64 years this New Year's Eve.  I think that is what I will celebrate.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

That picture of your parents and grandfather is beautiful!
I am another who never really got a great 'thrill' out of waiting for the ball to drop. Actually surrounding yourself with family at the cabin sounds like a great way to start the new year!
I'm looking forward to seeing all of your new creations for the year 2010! May you and your family have a healthy, happy year ahead!

Alisa Nordholt-Dean said...

What a wonderful photo! Your quiet New Years sound perfect to me...I've never been much of a party person. Wishing you all the best for a happy, prosperous 2010!

Art From The heart said...

Someone who shares my sentiments. I miss all those gone,especially during the Holiday season. We have alot in common.
Thanks for sharing..... Hugs

Kathy said...

First, I love the photograph too. I get sad at the New Year as well, just a bit. But I also look forward to the New Year, if the past year had been trying for me. But thinking of your parents as their Anniversary day, I get that...
hugs, sweet friend. And a quiet, Happy New Year, xo